Monday, February 20, 2012

123...switch...

You all know the song, or do you not? Well, let me share it with you....
"I am slowly going crazy 123456,switch,crazy going slowly am I, 765432 switch."
Looking at our bed. Yes, that headboard is not the right size. But I just needed something there.
 I plan to make one, eventually.

Yes. That's been my theme song. Especially as of late. After our home was invaded by unwanted visitors,or as our children call them "Thieves and robbers". We decided to move our bedroom, downstairs, and move the boys upstairs. I'd not slept much since the incident. Knowing our precious boys were mere feet away from complete strangers, likely high on drugs, did not rest well. At. All. Nor did it for my husband, so he was very supportive when I said "I can't sleep up here, I must be on the main floor."

Looking in from the doorway. The frames were all ones I had, and I painted them. 
Still needing to print pictures for them.
Another shot of the bed.

I painted our initials on a plain canvas that I found at goodwill for a dollar. I did not do as good a job as I'd like to have done. But, it was cheap and filled the space. I used the wall color on it,and a tan that I just used to repaint the back entry. The candle sconces I inherited from my Great Uncle,they were gold. I painted them white.

 Did I mention I'm not keen on change though? Especially when it involves my entire house being turned upside down? We live in a cozy, err, small, bungalow. I prefer the title "cozy". So,therefor when two rooms are switched...the entire house is a disaster. Disaster, overwhelms me. I like order. Okay, that's an understatement. If there is one major thing God has had to work on me, it is giving over my "I can't do this,I'm so overwhelmed" thoughts to Him. It's when I cry out, and ask him to fill my very marrow with energy from Him, to empower me to get things done. That He does. Oh, how thankful I am that He cares for us in such a manor. In my weakness, He is strong. May seem silly, not a big deal, after all it's just switching rooms. But, when nearly everything is being turned upside down in my life, and then to have my house, literally turned upside down. I tend to freak out. If my husband read that, he'd laugh. But, he'd attest, that it's true. Again. One of many things I'm working daily on giving over to God. I suppose what it really comes down to is, control. Do I really believe God is in control? Am I willing to relinquish every little detail of my life over to Him?  I say whole heartily yes. But then my stupid flesh gives way, and I let fear, and anxiety creep in like an unwanted visitor. There again, I have to take that thought captive, relinquish my fears, and when I do. That is when He washes over me like a flood. Sorry for the rabbit trail.
 Milk glass vase I got at goodwill for two dollars. The little organizer is from targets dollar bins.
 Another milk glass vase from goodwill one dollar, and the bird is from there as well I think it was fifty cents. I bought the shelves a while ago at good will for a dollar each. The cherry blossom sticks are from my cousins wedding arrangements. She gave one to me, and I love the reminder of her.
 Willow tree was a gift from my in-laws, starfish is a reminder of my home state.
 Books are my mothers,when she was a little girl. The book ends are from goodwill, got them a while ago as well. Little beaded box is from my Mom.
Found this gem at goodwill for three dollars! I was so excited! I'd been looking for something to store throws in. It's a little tattered, but I like it that way.Not to mention it will be a great photography prop!

Of course once I finally had gotten some semblance and order back around here, I got sick. Likely due to lack of sleep, and possibly paint fumes. I'm still not feeling well at all, but was able to get a few pictures of our bedroom a few days ago. The sun was shining (rare in these parts) and I had to take advantage of the natural light while I could. All in all, the room turned out to my liking. The paint color is Dutch Boy, and when I first rolled it onto the walls. I was worried. It looked very minty. NOT the color I was going for. But, once it dried, I loved it!

 The total cost for everything in the room is as follows:
$25- paint
$5- painting supplies(why is it I seem to never be able to find a paint brush/roller around here when I need it?)
$5-decorative accessories (I had a coupon for goodwill,$5 off a $10 purchase,score!)

(Bedding was a gift a few anniversaries back,from my parents. Shutter's headboard, Brandon made for me while we were dating,err,courting, whatever, before we were married. Desk inherited,as was the mirror. The side tables were also inherited.Curtains I got on clearance a few years ago.Lamps are from Hobby Lobby. They were also on clearance a few years back.)

Total: $35 dollars
Sleeping through the night = Priceless!

Money is super tight around here, so I had to keep a tight budget. I'd like to do more. And there are things we have to do. Like fix the drawer the boys broke. And repaint the ceiling, but first we have to put up a new light fixture. But, for now. It works. So there is our cozy room. If you read all of this, I'm impressed.

No comments: