Wednesday, February 15, 2012

courtship


(Wrote this on valentines day)

On this day,eleven years ago, I was 17 years old. I was invited to lunch, by a cute guy. Having no clue of his intentions. A friend of mine tagged along, she was convinced something was up. I on the other hand was not even aware it was valentines day. So this guy picked me up,and on the way to get my friend he was very quiet. Strange I thought, as we usually hit it off and would have much to talk about. All three of us teens, ran an after school Bible Club at a local elementary school. That was what I thought we were meeting about. After a classy meal at steak and shake we dropped my friend off, then headed to my house. Conversation came a little more naturally, we were joking and laughing when we arrived at my house. I walked to the door,and turned around to see this guy standing right in front of me. He said, "close your eyes". Me having two brothers, and thinking that must mean some kind of prank would ensue, I refused. He kept asking me to, until I finally ablidged, but only if he got off my porch. Surely he could not do much ten feet away! When he told me to open my eyes he was holding the most beautiful bouquet of red roses I'd ever seen. I nearly passed out! This guy,well more like boy. Then proceeded to tell me how much our friendship meant to him. How he had been watching me, praying for me, and wanted to get to know me more. He asked me if I would court him. Yes, you read that right. Courtship is different than dating, its intentionally getting to know someone with the purpose of marriage. He had already asked my Dad for permission. I remember standing there in total shock. This boy was different. He revered me. Respected me. Sought me. I will never forget what he finished with " But, if you don't want to court me, than accept these flowers out of a sincere friendship. For it would be better to remain
your friend, than not in your life at all." I could feel my heartbeat. I agreed to meet as families. To discuss it further, and committed to pray about it. Turned around and walked into my house. No hug,no kiss, I don't think I even said thankyou! If you can't tell, this girl does NOT think quick on her feet. Well, that guy/boy. Is now my husband. We have had our fair share of troubles and heart ache. Its a miracle of God we are still married. We aren't perfect, but we are perfect for eachother. I am SO thankful God saw to it to move a southern girl north, to meet her prince charming

No comments: