Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Boxes.



When you move the boxes seem endless. Having boxes full of little things, that comprise your physical life on earth is a very thought provoking time. A precious friend told me she " Found moving to not just be a physical journey from one place to another, but a spiritual journey." I couldn't agree more.

While packing I came across so many random things. There was SO much freedom in throwing things away, or giving it away. One thing that really sticks out in my mind though was a piece of note book paper. My husband had written on before we got married. It was a list of "ideals". Not his own, but rather, what should have been his "ideals",encouraged by other people.

 Interesting how the word Ideals, and the word Idols are so similar.
Ideals:
  1. A person or thing regarded as perfect: "you're my ideal of a man".
  2. A standard of perfection; a principle to be aimed at: "tolerance and freedom, the liberal ideals".

Idol:

  1. An image or representation of a god used as an object of worship.
  2. A person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered: "movie idol Robert Redford".


When wanting something in life, are we wanting it because it's what God would want? Or do we want it because it serves a selfish purpose, that can turn into an idol.

 I'm not talking like a totem pole, that you bow to daily. I'm talking about the ideal life. Big house, nice cars, 401K, summer home. Or how about, kids with strait A's, top of their class, "pillars" of the church, head of the Elder board, or Deacon board.

None of those things are bad things. But, what is driving you to want those things.

I suppose I'd be considered radical. But, packing all of my possessions in boxes made me realize something. It's just stuff. And those titles, are just that. Titles. The only thing that really matters is what we do for eternity. Like the daily life stuff. Loving un-lovable people, serving without wanting anything in return. It's not that we don't strive to do our best, it's that we do it with the mindset that we are doing our best for God.

Not for the approval of other people.

Tossing that little piece of notebook paper in the trash was so freeing. Why? Because the boy that wrote that list of "ideals", is not the man I am married to now.
Why? Because God has transformed His heart, and My heart. I am ever so thankful.

We haven't arrived, that's for sure. But that's part of the journey. To remain humble. Daily surrendering yourself to God, putting on His armor and walking in full confidence of the Grace He provides.

We don't fit into the "typical" box anymore. And I'm glad. I like words like transformed, radical, abandoned. Most of all, Saved by Grace. So with a spring in my step, and a lot of laughter, I threw that notebook paper away. And shouted a "Praise You Jesus!". It's all because of Him!

While unpacking the many boxes in our house, I thought about how I've put God in a box. It was pretty, and I used it every Sunday. Then put it back. When life got hard I'd go back to it. It's easy to do. We get wrapped up in the "Ideals",or "Idols" that we tend to compartmentalize our entire lives.

I'm thankful that God shook up my life, and unearthed all of my compartments. The last few years have been the hardest of my life. I've realized my daily,err,hourly. Minute by minute need for my Savior.

I couldn't help but think of this song while unpacking. Though it's not a "Christian group". The message is still powerful.


I don't want to raise the next generation of "little box people". I hope they create their lives on the standard of what does Christ want me to do. Then go after it with full abandon all the while radically serving and loving other people.

No comments: